Friday, June 24, 2016

Camino Reflection -How Heavy is Your Pack?

On the Camino, your backpack is like your home. You carry all of your possessions in it. It is organized in a precise way (at least mine is) that allows you to find things quickly and efficiently.
Most pilgrims overpack. You bring what you think are the necessities, and then you throw in the “I might need”s, and finally you make room for the “what if”s.

As you begin your journey with a fully loaded pack, you begin to reasses what is essential. The weight of everything you carry becomes burdensome and you look for ways to lighten your load. You start to cast off the unnecessary, you discern that you don't need the “I might need”s, and you realize that the “what if”s can be taken care of locally IF they happen at all. You allow yourself to let go of things you brought for comfort and you learn to trust that your needs will be met. As your pack lightens, you are able to walk farther and ache less.

Our hearts are like that. We cling to things for comfort that are unnecessary, and we carry heavy burdens we weren't meant to carry. Through Christ’s death, we are freed from carrying those burdens, yet we often choose to do it anyway. We sometimes cling to things instead of trusting God that He will take care of our needs.
And when we lighten our loads, we are better able to go farther, to ache less, and to look up and see the beauty that is before us.

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 11: 28-30

How heavy is your pack?

No comments:

Post a Comment